St. Mary 's Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in 1923 to expand the call of Bishop Dubuis to minister to "Our Lord Jesus Christ suffering in the persons of a multitude of sick and infirm of every kind who seek relief at your hands."
In 1933, an earthquake shook Long Beach and destroyed St. Mary’s Hospital. The Sisters rebuilt and continued to expand to include many of the services that exist today. Renamed St. Mary Medical Center, the hospital lives its mission through a deep and historic involvement with the Long Beach community. We provide a continuum of care that meets the preventive, curative, supportive and rehabilitative needs of the city’s diverse population.
In 1996, St. Mary Medical Center became a part of Catholic Healthcare West (renamed Dignity Health in 2012) continuing the Sisters’ ministry of service. The Sisters are an integral part of both Dignity Health and St. Mary serving on our Boards, in Spiritual Care Services, Administration, and as Patient Representatives.
What We Offer Today
Much has happened since the hospital opened its doors in 1923, including additions in the 1970s of the Bauer Tower, which houses the main hospital patient units, the Parr Health Enhancement Center, a world-renowned Cancer Center, and a Cardiac Catheterization Lab. St. Mary Medical Center is a teaching facility affiliated with the UCLA School of Medicine and also has a Medical Education Internal Medicine Residency Program that develops leading physicians for our community.
Since 2000, the hospital continues to grow and expand services, including a Disaster Resource Center, the Mary Hilton Family Health Center, the Raymond and Helen Bazzeni Senior Center, the 4th Street St. Mary Medical Center Clinic, a 24-Hour Emergency and Trauma Center and the Center of Excellence Surgical Treatment of Obesity Center.