Meeting Your Emergency Needs
||St. Mary Medical Center knows that a visit to the Emergency Room can be stressful and frightening for patients and their families. At St. Mary, our goal is to operate every department, especially the Emergency Department, with the utmost efficiency and quality patient service.
Our doctors and nurses are trained and equipped to handle all types of emergencies. The Emergency Departments holds several certifications and designations that qualify us to stand apart from other area Emergency Departments.
St. Mary Medical Center is:
- A 24-hour Emergency services hospital
- The Paramedic Base Station for Long Beach. As a Certified Paramedic Receiving Center, our Emergency Department is responsible for coordinating the paramedic calls for all of the city's hospitals.
- An Emergency Department approved for Pediatrics. Not all Emergency rooms are qualified to handle the needs of children.
- The lead Disaster Resource Center for Long Beach. St. Mary coordinates the activities of 10 area hospitals in the event of a regional emergency or disaster.
- A Level II Trauma Center - when the most critically injured and ill patients are in our Emergency Room, we have highly skilled surgeons inhouse 24/7 to respond to any emergency.
The Emergency Department at St. Mary Medical Center, offers expedient and caring service.
- Most patients with minor injuries are in and out of the Emergency Room within an hour and a half of arriving. Patients are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Extremely serious or life-threatening emergencies will be treated as soon as they arrive, which may cause a delay in service.
- More serious issues may require lab tests or x-rays which may add to the duration of the visit.
- A complete record of any treatment is sent to the patient's primary care physician, whose name is requested upon admission to the Emergency Department.
Pediatric Emergency Department Approved
The Emergency Department at St. Mary Medical Center is specially designated by Los Angeles County as an Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) to care for children. According to the County, this means the hospital has adhered to strict EDAP requirements for policies, procedures, and protocols; administration/coordination; personnel; quality improvement; support services; and equipment, supplies, and medications.
Please contact us by email
or call the Emergency Department (562) 491-9090
for more information.